Museum Engagement Guide
Are you looking for a way to become involved in museums? Do you enjoy talking with people about art? The Cantor Arts Center and the Anderson Collection, both at Stanford University, are jointly recruiting a new class of Museum Engagement Guides!
About the Opportunity
Our Museum Engagement Training Program focuses on learning about the history and collections of the Cantor Arts Center and the Anderson Collection at Stanford University as well as developing critical skills and techniques for authentic, visitor-centered engagement. The training will incorporate in-gallery sessions, workshops, discussions, readings, virtual presentations, and more.
At the Cantor Arts Center and the Anderson Collection, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace! We are especially looking for people of ALL backgrounds who are passionate about art and enthusiastic about sharing stories with others. A background in art history is not required. We encourage anyone,18 years of age and older with interest, to apply for this volunteer position!
As soon as you begin training you will:
- Become part of a broader community of learners, facilitators, and teachers
- Spend time each week in the world class museums at Stanford
- Have access to Stanford University libraries, with both lending privileges at the physical libraries and online research resource access
- Enjoy annual volunteer appreciation events
Once trained you will:
- Receive a Certificate of Completion
- Receive complimentary memberships to the Cantor Arts Center and the Anderson Collection
- Have access to ongoing continuing education resources developed specifically for the museum volunteer communities
- Be able to audit select Stanford University courses to further support your ongoing learning and professional development in subjects such as Archaeology, Anthropology, Art and Art History, Latin American Studies, African and African American Studies, European History, Asian Studies and more!
- Provide tours and other in-gallery engagement opportunities to museum visitors, gaining insight from and taking part in conversation with diverse audiences
Museum Engagement Guides are expected to make a two year commitment which includes six months of initial training from January 2024 - May 2024. The training will be delivered in a hybrid format consisting of in-person sessions and online modules. The online modules will consist of self-paced readings, videos, online material, and discussion boards will be assigned between our in person sessions.
Register for a virtual information session on zoom to learn more as you consider becoming a Museum Engagement Guide at the Cantor Arts Center and the Anderson Collection.
Information Session 1
Wed, November 30, 2023, 5-6pm
Information Session 2
Sat, December 2, 2023, 10-11am
In-person training sessions are twice per month on Saturdays, 10:00am-2:00pm with lunch provided. *Attendance for all in-person sessions is mandatory.
2024 Session Dates
- January 27
- February 10
- February 24
- March 9
- March 23
- April 6
- April 20
- May 4
- May 18
In-Person Makeup Sessions:
- June 1, 2024
- June 8, 2024
- June 15, 2024